Join our zoo community
Maguari

Spider Monkey/Capybara Exhibit at Apenheul, 30/05/12

Mixed enclosure for Capybara and Colombian Black Spider Monkeys.

Spider Monkey/Capybara Exhibit at Apenheul, 30/05/12
Maguari, 15 Jun 2012
    • Maguari
      Mixed enclosure for Capybara and Colombian Black Spider Monkeys.
    • dean
      This looks a good sized exhibit is this the whole area? how would you rate the park over all maguari? I have heard mixed reviews of the place.

Dean
    • Maguari
      Not at all - it's probably not even half of the exhibit.

Apart from a rather dingy gorilla house and the fact that it's closed for half the year I find very little to criticise here at all. The exhibits are generally superb, the primate collection outstanding and the occasional non-primates pleasingly random.

I don't think I've ever visited anywhere better at displaying primates.
    • dean
      Thanks Maguari I will have to add it to my list, all the times I have visited the Netherlands I opted for Artis and Rotterdam zoo every time!
    • Toddy
      I would really consider Apenheul next time you go. I am finding it hard to believe that anybody would give Apenheul less than great reviews. Knowing Apenheul intimately I would say that there are only two major flaws in Apenheul:

One is (like Maguari said) the rather small Gorilla House. However, it is not all bad as it is constructed so that the gorillas can easily seek privacy from each other.

The other is that if you visit on a rainy day your experience of the place will be far less than optimal. There are few viewable indoor exhibits and even less where the visitors can stay dry. And seeing as most of the animals in the park are primates rain can really dampen your visit.

However, the outdoor forest areas and exhibits are nothing short of brilliant and observing the primates here is pure joy. Also the backstage holding areas and general animal welfare in the park is top-notch.
    • zoogiraffe
      I find it very strange that you have heard mix reviews about this place,as Maguari has said it doesn't have much wrong with it.I'm no great lover of primates but have to say that if you want to see primates done well,this is the place in fact a certain place that calls its self the World Primate Centre would do well to look at how things are done here!
    • dean
      Thanks Toddy I will now add it to my list I'm used to zoo visiting in the rain as that is usually when I go to Colchester zoo at least then I have it nearly to myself .

Zoogiraffe I seam to recall some story or other that it was only Monkeys, and that they lived in small houses, (which looking at their outside space isn't all that problematic to me now) plus it had irregular hours. I suppose if you aren't such a zoo buff these things can be misinterpreted, I wish I had gone now. apart from Colchester, Artis Zoo is the one zoo I have visited most in my life. At one time I went at least once or twice a year, a misspent youth....
    • zoogiraffe
      @ dean never take anyones else view about a place always visit,and make your mind up for yourself and,I say that even about places like Noahs Ark Zoo Farm,of which I have yet to meet a zoonerd that thinks the place is good,but have meet many members of the general public that think its a brilliant collection,because of all the childrens play areas for their kids!!
    • dean
      I think that is the best advice zoogiraffe, the old saying "one man's meat is another man's poison" springs to mind.

I agree with you about kiddies play equipment, our neighbours are gold card holders
      @ Colchester and every time I ask the little boy the best part of his day out, he says the play areas! hopefully some of his fathers interest in animals is rubbing off too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Apenheul Primate Park
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    15 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    456.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:05:30 10:38:35
    Exposure Time:
    10/3500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).