Join our zoo community
cypher

Spoonbill

Here are 2 of the Spoonbills in the Sacred Ibis exhibit.

Spoonbill
cypher, 24 Jan 2016
    • cypher
      Here are 2 of the Spoonbills in the Sacred Ibis exhibit.
    • TZFan
      I'm so glad spoonbills arrived. They were one of the bird species I would have liked to see be added to the zoo. I just hope they can go outside come spring.
    • cypher
      It would indeed be nice to see them outside. I'm also hoping they getting some signage for them soon, as there is none at the moment. Everyone that come to see them while I was there thought they were Flamingos.
    • arcticwolf
      This is a great species and I'm so happy that the zoo has them again. I still remember seeing them in this exhibit when I was a kid.
    • TZFan
      That makes me sad. Seriously I don't expect them to know they are African Spoonbills but for crying out loud flamingos are pink!
    • cypher
      All the more reason to add proper signage as soon as possible. Educate those that know no better.

Although thinking they are Flamingos is dreadfully hurtful to hear.
    • TZFan
      I'm certain signage is on the way. The zoo has been absolutely fantastic with its new signage in the past two years so I expect nothing less for the spoonbills. They may be waiting on placement of a sign to see if they will go outside for the summer months or simply if the grouping of the spoonbills, ibis and geese is viable long term. If they stay they probably will do new signs for all three species which is good.
    • cypher
      If this species were to go outside, where would be the place place to put them, in terms of overall viability. I would love to see them in the large pool area of the White Rhino, but I don't no if that's something that will work long term.
    • TZFan
      The white rhino exhibit was tossed around as an idea or in with the penguins as another... both would just be summer solutions. In the winter they would probably come back inside with the ibis. It's kind of too bad that they removed the old elephant pool in the giraffe exhibit. Even a shallow pool would have given them somewhere to stick more birds. Plus I have seen some really cool photos of giraffes playing in a pool in Fresno's new African exhibit. That would be incredibly cool to see in person.

Chaffee Zoo unveils new "African Adventures" exhibit to members | abc30.com
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    24 Jan 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    186.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1068px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D600
    Date / Time:
    2016:01:22 23:42:27
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 4000
    Focal Length:
    105 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).