Join our zoo community
Tim May

Spotted hyaena; Dudley; 18th July 1983

Spotted hyaena; Dudley; 18th July 1983
Tim May, 14 Aug 2019
    • Tim May
      Image scanned from an old 35 mm slide,
    • TNT
      @Tim May Where were they in the zoo Tim?
    • Tim May
      @ThomasNotTom

If I remember correctly after about thirty-six years, the hyaenas were in an enclosure that subsequently housed maned wolf and then bush dog; there were still bush dog there on my last visit in 2011 but I've not been to Dudley for about eight years so am not sure what the enclosure is used for now.

I'm sure that one of the regular Dudley visitors would be able to confirm.
      TNT likes this.
    • Pertinax
      Right hand side somewhere along from the entrance, after what was the fairground area I think. That is where I remember seeing them anyway.
      TNT likes this.
    • Benosaurus
      According to these maps it looks like they were to the right hand side of the entrance in the 1970s and were in the bush dog enclosure in the 1980s.

I think later on they ended up in a now unused part of the zoo somewhere beyond the chimp enclosure.

Does anyone know when they died/ left the collection? Personally I have no memory of ever seeing hyaena at Dudley.
      Pertinax and Tim May like this.
    • Pertinax
      Yes, it was 1960's/70's when I remember them where I said. No 52 on the map looks right.
    • Animallover1998
      According to Zootierliste, the zoo had kept the Spotted hyena(s) from 1970 all the way until 1996 when I presume they either left for another collection or died out. Either way the unused area at the back of the Chimp paddock has remained empty for years since then.
      Benosaurus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dudley Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    14 Aug 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    10.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2750px
    Height:
    4129px
    Date / Time:
    2019:08:13 16:14:06

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).