Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

Steller sea lion exhibit

September 2016. Exhibit housed a mother and pup at the time of our visit. When you get downstairs there are also large underwater viewing windows.

Steller sea lion exhibit
Arizona Docent, 28 Sep 2016
    • Arizona Docent
      September 2016. Exhibit housed a mother and pup at the time of our visit. When you get downstairs there are also large underwater viewing windows.
      Mathijs likes this.
    • Coelacanth18
      @AD, What did you think about the quality of pinniped exhibits at the Center? How do they compare with what we have in the lower 48?
      Mathijs likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Both the sea lion exhibit (here) and the harbor seal exhibit (behind where I am standing for this photo) follow the same design. They are natural and deep - I like the two level approach. I also like the outdoor viewing for the upper level. My only negative criticism is that they are a bit small - neither one could house more than two (maybe three) animals. I would like to see a bigger setup, especially for sea lions so that a large group could be together as they are in the wild.

Compared to lower 48? I suppose about equal, I have not seen an outstanding pinniped exhibit that I recall. Some are indeed worse. Plus this may be the only place where you can see Steller sea lions in captivity?

A full report on my Alaska trip can be found on this thread: http://www.zoochat.com/22/d-alaska-464218/
      Mathijs likes this.
    • Coelacanth18
      Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad you were able to do what sounds like a fantastic trip. I like the split-level approach wherever I see it: seeing animals from two different perspectives is always a cool experience for me. From some quick Internet research, it looks as though Oregon Zoo, Vancouver Aquarium, and Mystic Aquarium also have Steller's sea lions. Perhaps they were even sourced from this place in Seward!

I agree that "outstanding" pinniped exhibits are hard to come by. IMO, the best I've seen is the relatively new one in St. Louis.
    • Pleistohorse
      Mystic is pretty good. At one time they housed Harbor Seals, Northern Fur Seals, Stellar's Sea Lions, California Sea Lions, and a Walrus (late 1970's). The exhibits where outdoors and naturalistic (for the time). Other than the Beluga's (which inhabit what was once Harbor Seals and maybe Grey Seals, I don't recall any underwater viewing.
    • Javan Rhino
      There are a few places in Europe that keep Steller sea lions. I've seen them at Hardewijk, they're also kept in Madrid, Marineland Antibes, a place in Lithuania and a few places in Russia.
    • Pleistohorse
      I remember Pantagonian Sea Lions being exhibited in Munich (and I believe a couple other Zoos in Germany/Benelux.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Alaska SeaLife Center
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    28 Sep 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    99.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    700px
    Height:
    467px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2016:09:18 11:18:10
    Exposure Time:
    1/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    26 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).