Join our zoo community
GillP

Stupid question - what's this ?? - 20 November 2010

Is this durian fruit ? Is it real - i.e. actually grown inside RORA, or are these plastic ?

Stupid question - what's this ?? - 20 November 2010
GillP, 20 Feb 2011
felis silvestris likes this.
    • GillP
      Is this durian fruit ?
      Is it real - i.e. actually grown inside RORA, or are these plastic ?
    • Chlidonias
      it is durian but I suspect its not real (real fruit are attached to thick stalks coming out of the branches), and the plant they're on looks a little spindly for them :)
    • Javan Rhino
      If I'm thinking of the right fruit, then it also stinks to high heavens and I think it's illegal to carry them on passanger planes it's that bad.
    • Chlidonias
      the smell doesn't bother me, but yes there are signs everywhere you go in southeast Asia forbidding durians (airports, trains, hotels...)

Very tasty flesh too, but very difficult to describe; its just one of those things you have to try for yourself :)
    • Zooplantman
      And if you look at the original photo, it is clear that they are wired onto the Branches.
      A nice touch, I think
    • Chlidonias
      I wasn't sure if those were wires or little vines that just happened to be around those particular branches, to be honest
    • Zooish
      As pointed out by the rest, they're fake of course, it would take a sturdier tree to bear fruit. But its a great educational feature nonetheless, given that orangutans relish the fruit. And the average visitor probably couldn't tell that they're fake.

I see Chlidonias has developed an acquired taste for this much-feared fruit. The smell of the durian is often described as akin to sweaty socks! What nonsense, it smells heavenly :)
    • GillP
      Thanks everyone .... I was clearing out some old photos from my memory card last night, found this, and remembered an argument, errm, discussion I'd had at the time about them being real or not ! I was right - thought they looked too perfect.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    GillP
    Date:
    20 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: