Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

sumatran rhinoceros

August 2001

sumatran rhinoceros
Arizona Docent, 2 Jul 2011
    • Dallaspachyderm
      Beautiful animal! Too bad she couldn't have been a part of the breeding program...:/
    • reduakari
      She was probably too old
    • Kudu21
      Rapunzel was certainly a beautiful animal. She lived here in Cincinnati for a while as well. I remember going to the zoo back in the 90s and seeing her, and of course Ipuh and Emi. I do believe that she returned to the Bronx Zoo not too long after Andalas was born.
    • thor
      When I was White Oaks in Florida I was able to see my first sumatran rhino. Who else has them?
    • KCZooFan
      Cincinnati, those are the only two places in the US that have them.
    • Cat-Man
      where was the exhibit?
    • Arizona Docent
      I was only there once, a decade ago, so I am not that familiar with the layout. But I remember it was a yard attached to an old animal building - perhaps a former elephant building??? I am sure someone else on here is more familiar with their layout.
    • Tim May
      When I saw the Sumatran rhinoceros at Bronx Zoo in 1990 it was kept in the old Elephant House.
    • reduakari
      Rapunzel lived in a new exhibit built in 1989 that was connected to the old Elephant House. Unlike any of the other US zoos that received Sumatrans, the Bronx exhibit actually featured dense natural shade. Although it was a bit on the small side, it presented the rhino in a lovely forest setting and provided a good variety of features (pool, mudwallow, tree trunks for rubbing and most importantly. deep shade):

Bronx Elephant House
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    2 Jul 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    63.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    289px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).