Join our zoo community
devilfish

Talking turtle statue, September 2015.

This giant model has a dynamic image of a cartoon baby turtle projected on it. It loudly spews turtle facts and can answer questions which visitors can select on the touch screen in front of it. When no question is selected it starts to answer a random question automatically. A nice and high-tech idea, but for me it fails on many levels. - The volume is so loud that spending any reasonable time in the turtle gallery is difficult. It can also be heard from some distance too (I first found it irritating while watching the octopus a couple of rooms earlier). You could argue that I spend longer watching and photographing exhibits than most visitors, but I still found families stopping to look at it (or engage with the system), and then quickly move on without observing the other exhibits in the room. - Another feature is that the touch screen is not very sensitive, so you're lucky if you do manage to pick a question. I had avoided posting this with my other Sea Life photos as it uploads horizontally, but I don't think it's a feature that we can change. Photo taken on the 17th September 2015.

Talking turtle statue, September 2015.
devilfish, 20 Dec 2015
    • devilfish
      This giant model has a dynamic image of a cartoon baby turtle projected on it. It loudly spews turtle facts and can answer questions which visitors can select on the touch screen in front of it. When no question is selected it starts to answer a random question automatically. A nice and high-tech idea, but for me it fails on many levels.
      - The volume is so loud that spending any reasonable time in the turtle gallery is difficult. It can also be heard from some distance too (I first found it irritating while watching the octopus a couple of rooms earlier). You could argue that I spend longer watching and photographing exhibits than most visitors, but I still found families stopping to look at it (or engage with the system), and then quickly move on without observing the other exhibits in the room.
      - Another feature is that the touch screen is not very sensitive, so you\'re lucky if you do manage to pick a question.

I had avoided posting this with my other Sea Life photos as it uploads horizontally, but I don\'t think it\'s a feature that we can change.

Photo taken on the 17th September 2015.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    SEA LIFE Manchester
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    20 Dec 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    131.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1067px
    Height:
    1600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).