Join our zoo community
Maguari

Tapir Lake at Folly Farm, 01/08/11

The group of 5(?) Brazilian Tapirs were spread over the island and the bank. Didn't see any make the crossing but it must be quite a sight. Capybara also share this exhibit.

Tapir Lake at Folly Farm, 01/08/11
Maguari, 8 Aug 2011
    • Maguari
      The group of 5(?) Brazilian Tapirs were spread over the island and the bank. Didn\'t see any make the crossing but it must be quite a sight. Capybara also share this exhibit.
    • kiang
      Very impressive, when you consider that most tapir exhibits provide nothing bigger than a large bath tub, as maguari says, must be quite a sight seeing the tapirs crossing this lake.
    • Chlidonias
      that looks like an excellent enclosure! (Although, having said that, how much land area is there?)
    • Maguari
      More than the tapir exhibits at London, Twycross, Dudley, Edinburgh and Chester, I'd say - just a bit more strung out!

The island is probably similar size to Dudley's or Twycross's whole exhibit.

One of Folly Farm's best enclosures.
    • Pertinax
      Is it just me, or is this a rather curious use of such an apparently large area of Water? Tapirs swim, yes, but this seems a huge area of water for them. More like what you'd give Sealions, or waterfowl or a nature reserve......
    • Bele
      Good to see that the tapirs are using this lake . On all my visits they have been confined to their paddock adjoining it , though there was a gate to allow access . The lake held a variety of waterfowl which was down to wild-type mallard by the time of my last visit .
    • chizlit
      As the island looks to be far out in the distance is there a viewing area around the back to allow views of the tapir's?
    • Maguari
      The viewing is only along this side (the far side is the park boundary) but it is all the way along the full length, so you can get much closer to the island than this.

As Bele says, there is also a smaller (though not small!) holding paddock, and stable viewing.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Folly Farm
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    8 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    172.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix F100fd
    Date / Time:
    2011:08:01 12:51:47
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    6.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).