Join our zoo community
Mr Wrinkly

Tawny Frogmouth

Tawny Frogmouth
Mr Wrinkly, 14 Feb 2014
David Matos Mendes and Jonas like this.
    • arcticwolf
      I haven't seen this species in years. I always assumed there were none left at the zoo. Thanks for sharing this.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      Over a year for me. Yesterday a keeper said they also have trouble finding it, making me feel better.
    • cypher
      First time seeing that species. Where can it be found?
    • Mr Wrinkly
      Australasia - yesterday it was dozing on the large empty cage in the aviary. I have found it sitting on the metal struts (?), quite high.
    • cypher
      Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them during my next visit.
    • TZFan
      Its our last one. A male named Peacemaker. I kind of hope we get more of them because they look so interesting with that big mouth. I wouldnt count on getting more though. They dont have a huge population and are notoriously difficult to breed.
    • arcticwolf
      With only one tawny frogmouth and New Zealand shoveler and two little pied cormorants left, the zoo might have to start looking for new birds to put in the Australasia pavilion. None of those three species I mentioned are very common in zoos so it might be hard to acquire more. It's good that the zoo got more crowned pigeons and the crested pigeons and green winged doves were added to the free flight area, but I still think the Australasia pavilion will need some more birds.
    • TZFan
      We are extremely lucky to have recieved 4 crowned pigeons. Their population is so small I didnt think it would be possible to replace Crash. I think if I remember correctly there are less then 100 of them in North America.

Is it possible the Aviary is up for reno? Just looking at the facts it looks like we are in a die out cycle there and that usually means some kind of revamp. Given a little more time and attrition it wouldnt be hard to relocate the other animals. The kookaburras could move next door to the tree kangaroos. The crowned pigeons, cockatoo and doves could be held off exhibit anywhere. And its not hard to move a turtle. I dont know if it is going to be renoed considering we have had replacement pigeons and a new kookaburra is on the way. But all the die outs makes you wonder.
    • arcticwolf
      I don't think the aviary needs to be renovated. Out of all the free flight areas at the zoo, I think the Australasia one is the best. I just hope the zoo doesn't let it become too empty.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      What reno? Other than the area outside the Tree Kangaroos, Australasia is quite well set up. It will take time to get replacement or other species in there.
      I just hope they restore the Kangaroo walk-through in future, after the Pandas.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Mr Wrinkly
    Date:
    14 Feb 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: