Join our zoo community
TeaLovingDave

Tayra (Eira barbara) at Exmoor Zoo - January 28th 2013

Although not a true lifetick, as I spotted these in their offshow house from afar at Hamerton last year, this was the first time I had seen a tayra clearly and close-up, and I was not disappointed! Both individuals were highly active throughout the day. This was the lighter coloured of the two.

Tayra (Eira barbara) at Exmoor Zoo - January 28th 2013
TeaLovingDave, 31 Jan 2013
    • TeaLovingDave
      Although not a true lifetick, as I spotted these in their offshow house from afar at Hamerton last year, this was the first time I had seen a tayra clearly and close-up, and I was not disappointed! Both individuals were highly active throughout the day. This was the lighter coloured of the two.
    • Brum
      Jealous face! :(
      As you know I was extremely dissapointed to miss this collection BUT I am thoroughly enjoying your photo's.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Well, it is pretty easy to reach via public transport, so I daresay you won't have much trouble next time around :)
    • Brum
      I hope so, I really do. Tayra are on my 'need-to-see' list and Exmoor seems to be the place to go.
      I'm in the West Country next month but unfortunately only have 2 days in Bristol, it's going to be the zoo and possibly the aquarium, followed by a day of doing history style things like the docks, Clifton suspension bridge and maybe the museum. It's called compromise I'm afraid so Exmoor won't be on that trip! :(
    • Goura
      Are the tayra(s) at Exmoor originally from RSCC? Does anyone know?
    • Brum
      I'm about 95% certain that you're right. Exmoor took a lot of the RSCC stock when it shut to the public. Here, Belfast and Wingham were the main beneficaries, whilst Edinburgh and Colchester also didn't do too badly either! ;)
    • TeaLovingDave
      Correct - 1.0 arrived from RSCC in 2009, long before they closed to the public, and then 0.1 was sent to Exmoor when RSCC closed in 2011.

As I learnt at Exmoor when I visited, from a "Arrivals, Births and Departures" board at the entrance, Exmoor actually held in offshow facilities the vast majority of the various species from RSCC which have since returned there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Exmoor Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    TeaLovingDave
    Date:
    31 Jan 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: