Join our zoo community
vogelcommando

Tenrec with 31 babies !

Old newspaper photo. During 1972 a Tenrec gave birth to no less then 31 young ! At that time it was the world record for the largest number of young in mammals. Don't know if it still stands.

Tenrec with 31 babies !
vogelcommando, 1 May 2014
twilighter and JurassicMax like this.
    • vogelcommando
      Old newspaper photo. During 1972 a Tenrec gave birth to no less then 31 young ! At that time it was the world record for the largest number of young in mammals. Don\'t know if it still stands.
    • gentle lemur
      This photo was published in Volume 13 of the International Zoo Yearbook with a short article. It was the pair's second litter, the female had reared 18 young the previous year. 30 of these young were reared.
      I saw and photographed some of these tenrecs at Wassenaar in 1974.

Alan
      twilighter likes this.
    • TeaLovingDave
      And thus you recieve your first Lucky Bastard Badge of the day - not for having this species, for I have seen Tailless Tenrec myself, but for having visited Wassenaar ;)
    • vogelcommando
      @ gentle lemur : didn't know the photo was also used in the Int. Zooyear Book ! I have it from a dutch newspaper'
      Also uploaded a newspaper photo from the first litter which contained 19 young according to the article, so I think one died.
    • gentle lemur
      I haven't forgotten my promise to get scanning as soon as circumstances allow ;) But I must protest about the Lucky Bastard badge - I'm as sure as I can be that the noun is not appropriate - but the adjective is quite undeserved: it was not luck that got me that copy of IZYB or took me Holland in general or Wassenaar in particular :p

Yes, vogelcommando, one youngster from each litter died, but 48 young in 2 years is not too bad a score.

Alan
    • TeaLovingDave
      Twas lucky that you were born in a time where one *could* visit Wassenaar, however ;)
    • stubeanz
      Great photo! It's a wonder how they all fitted in there!:eek: I currently keep this species and hope to bred them in the future, the sister which a friend has recently had 18 young!
    • vogelcommando
      I saw and photographed some of these tenrecs at Wassenaar in 1974.

Alan[/QUOTE]

Would it be possible to upload some of your Wassenaar photos. I myself have been there several times during the late 1970-ties and beginning 1980-ties but didn't have a decent camera at that time and don't have any pictures from this park :(
    • gentle lemur
      Would it be possible to upload some of your Wassenaar photos. I myself have been there several times during the late 1970-ties and beginning 1980-ties but didn't have a decent camera at that time and don't have any pictures from this park :([/QUOTE]

I have already promised Tea Loving Dave that I will do this, but I am renovating an apartment at the moment. Completing my new bathroom has to come before upgrading to new scanner software. I have photos of golden cats, gorillas, Pesquet's parrot and tenrecs from Wassenaar - possibly others too.

Alan
    • tenrec
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dierenpark Wassenaar (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    1 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: