Join our zoo community
Sarus Crane

The Ciconiidae

Also known as the amazing family of storks!

The Ciconiidae
Sarus Crane, 10 Jan 2019
    • Kakapo
      Amazing! I didn't knew that Greater Adjutant were so massive compared with marabou!
    • birdsandbats
      @Kakapo I agree. I've never seen a Greater Adjutant, but from the pictures I assumed it was much smaller. Same with Jabiru as well.
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Kakapo This image is slightly misleading, as it appears @Sarus Crane has gone with the upper size limit for Greater and the lower size limit for Marabou.
    • Sarus Crane
      @Kakapo I've seen them both in a museum collection and was shocked as well. Marabou tend to have shorter legs in proportion to their body size. I was actually able to measure all 19 species several years ago at the Smithsonian and the Greater Adjutants were so big that only two study skins could fit in a drawer with their legs folded up and their necks scrunched up compared to the Marabou in which a skin could fit lengthwise in a drawer with its head and legs extended. I was also shocked at its bill structure. Its much more massive and wide than the Marabou. The adult specimen's head from back of head to bill tip in a straight line was 16 inches with a leg length of 22 inches to where the feathers start. I read something a while back that the extinct Leptoptilos robustus was about the same size. Its just that its legs were more heavy which rendered it flightless. Marabou are technically tall if they stretched their necks the whole way but due their heavy bill they have that hunched posture and usually stand at about 3.5 feet in a hunched position. Jabiru, like Greater Adjutant have a really long tarsus which make them appear taller. I extended the Greater Adjutant's neck in Photoshop to make it taller. @birdsandbats @TeaLovingDave
    • Great Argus
      Storm's Stork and Abdim's Stork seem too small...
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Great Argus

Storm's Stork is definitely too small, but Abdim's is correct - it is the smallest species.

Incidentally, the image of Woolly-Necked Stork in this diagram is the African species :)
    • Sarus Crane
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Sarus Crane Ah, but have you seen it? :p Don't think there are any others outside the native range barring the pair I saw in Germany some years ago.
    • Sarus Crane
      @TeaLovingDave I saw the ones in London but I like the African's head look better.
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Sarus Crane Yep, those ones are Asian :) but both species are very nice indeed.
      Sarus Crane likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Animal Art & Creative Photography
    Uploaded By:
    Sarus Crane
    Date:
    10 Jan 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2550px
    Height:
    1552px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).