Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

The Forest Gallery, frog tanks

passageway down into an underground viewing area with windows into pools for fish. The tanks in this photo are for local frog species. May 2014

The Forest Gallery, frog tanks
Chlidonias, 4 Jun 2014
    • Chlidonias
      passageway down into an underground viewing area with windows into pools for fish. The tanks in this photo are for local frog species.

May 2014
    • snowleopard
      For those that track the hundreds of zoos that they visit, would Melbourne Museum count? I know folks who seem to include very large pet shops as zoos while others would not include anything with less than approximately 20 terrariums. What about this specific establishment? Are there enough live animals to count as a zoological attraction?
    • Chlidonias
      I count "zoos" to include any collection of captive live animals open to the public for viewing purposes (well, usually -- there are obviously some which are private or otherwise not open for some other reason). Pet shops certainly wouldn't count.

For Melbourne Museum, it has a large number of live animals on display -- invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, fish and birds -- and while I wouldn't call it a zoo as such (because its primary aim is not the display of live animals) it would certainly fit into my criteria of a zoological collection.
    • Chlidonias
      I just remembered that the museum is also a full member of the ZAA (the Zoo and Aquarium Association), which is the regional zoo organisation of Australasia. So therefore I think it has to be counted as a "zoo".
    • snowleopard
      It most definitely qualifies and if I'm ever in Melbourne again I'll have to plan a visit. The city of Vancouver has a very popular Science World attraction (800,000 annual visitors) that is similar to many other establishments in North American cities, and Science World has approximately 15 permanent terrariums on display in one of its galleries. There are cockroaches, spiders, scorpions, lizards, snakes, frogs, etc, but it seems like a small amount of live animals to add to my lifetime "zoo" total. I've always debated whether to count it or not and it is a tough decision for me but maybe I should finally add it to my list as I've visited the Nature Gallery on many occasions.

Science World British Columbia
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Melbourne Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    4 Jun 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: