Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

The former gerenuk exhibit

Now used for klippspringers, but in the future, another small anetelope species will be kept in here.

The former gerenuk exhibit
Zebraduiker, 17 Jan 2009
    • Zebraduiker
      Now used for klippspringers, but in the future, another small anetelope species will be kept in here.
    • mstickmanp
      What European zoos still keep Gerenuks?
    • kiang
      none in Europe
    • Jakub
      The very last gerenuk in Europe died in Frankfurt in 1979, this zoo had the first breeding success in captivity, i think in 1957 or 1958.
      Since 1979 the gerenuks have not been kept in Europe.
    • mstickmanp
      Was it hard to keep them? or what?
    • Zebraduiker
      Gerenuks are very, very hard to keep in zoos, also in america. Frankfurt was the only breeder of that species, but the group was totally inbred and so all the animals died within a few years, I think, none of them older than five years...So the Frankfurt Gerenuk Story is a very sad story, and I'm against every new attempt to get gerenuks for europe.

There are few geramn and european zoos whicha re interested in thme, one of them palns to keep them together with white rhinos, I wouldn't do that.....But its impossible to transport full grown gerenuks, and the other question is, getting them from where ? The Usa ? Forget it.
    • mstickmanp
      I was asking because every year it seems as though the LA zoo has had at least 2 baby gerenuks and a healthy herd of 1.5. That's the reason why it's surprising to me that it was hard to keep them in Europe.
    • kiang
      Zebraduiker, do you have any photos of the Frankfurt gerenuks?
    • Zebraduiker
      I've just one picture of a gerenuk at Frankfurt, I've posted it today.
    • ungulate nerd
      Frankfurt Zoo had Southern gerenuks (Litocranius walleri walleri) between 1929 and 1930, but Frankfurt Zoo also had Northern gerenuk (Litocranius walleri sclateri), besides the Northern gerenuks at Frankfurt Zoo, and also other then the Southern gerenuks at Tierpark Berlin currently, and the Southern gerenuks that were at Berlin Zoo from 1930 until 1969, all of the Gerenuks in Europe were Northern gerenuks (Liticranius walleri sclateri), most of the Gerenuks in North America were Southern Gerenuks with 3 places like San Diego Wild Animal Park, Fort Worth Zoo, and San Antonio Zoo having had Northern gerenuks a really long time ago, now the only place in the world that currently has Northern gerenuks is Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    17 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: