Join our zoo community
DavidBrown

The Indricotherium and I

The California Academy of Sciences had a special exhibit on mammal evolution in summer 2010. The exhibit was developed at the American Museum of Natural History and featured a life-sized model of Indricotherium, the largest known land mammal. It liked to be scritched on the ear, so I obliged it.

The Indricotherium and I
DavidBrown, 24 Jun 2012
iluvwhales and Daubentoniidae like this.
    • DavidBrown
      The California Academy of Sciences had a special exhibit on mammal evolution in summer 2010. The exhibit was developed at the American Museum of Natural History and featured a life-sized model of Indricotherium, the largest known land mammal. It liked to be scritched on the ear, so I obliged it.
    • jbnbsn99
      Wish there were a museum around here that had a decent paleo area. Most we get is a room with a few bones.
    • Chlidonias
      that is Awesome!! I love when exhibits have life-size models of animals, especially the humungous extinct ones. Seeing it "in the flesh" as it were is so much better than just reading a sign saying "it was such-and-such a size".
    • Hix
      This one appears to have been a part of a field study as its ear has been notched.
    • Hipporex
      Fun Fact: "Indricotherium" is now generally considered a junior synonym of Paraceratherium (Pear-ah-sarah-thear-ee-um; "Near horn beast") and this genus may of had a tapir-like proboscis. Regardless I think it's a good picture of you too and I miss this temporary exhibit (the current one is meh).
    • Bib Fortuna
      Awesome. Does anybody knows, what happend to this great model after the end of the exhibition ? I've never seen a skeleton of that species, is there one anywhere in the US ?Unfortunate, they are gone from this earth. It would be nice to work with them-in hands-on contact, of course.
    • DavidBrown
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    California Academy of Sciences
    Uploaded By:
    DavidBrown
    Date:
    24 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    383.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L18
    Date / Time:
    2010:06:13 12:03:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/148 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 766
    Focal Length:
    5.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).