zoogiraffe

The King Cobra Sanctuary

King Cobra handling demo

The King Cobra Sanctuary
zoogiraffe, 29 May 2011
    • zoogiraffe
      King Cobra handling demo
    • Javan Rhino
      Garr, you beat me to posting pics of this fantastic place :)
    • zoogiraffe
      Thanks for that!!!
    • bongorob
      I'll have my photos soon, so Zoogiraffe beat me by about 2 weeks.
    • zoomaniac
      I'm far away from being an expert about demonstrations with venemous snakes like this but... it looks to me as if this kind of handling is a bit to much "easy going" (short distance of the man behind the King Kobra f.e.)
      Anyway: What exactly are the keepers on the picture doing?
    • zoomaniac
      Checked their website already - I guess they know what they are doing (according to their long time experience with this species). It just looked a little dangerous to me.

Also, I think they deserve a big applause for their goals.
    • bongorob
      Well said.
    • zoogiraffe
      All the staff at the Sanctuary,are very experienced at what they do and don't take any risks,more importantly they know each individual snake,and know what they can get away with each of them,also most of the Cobras are trained to responed to handle signals,so they handlers can tell the Cobra what they want it to do!!!
    • Vulpes
      What a ridiculous statement! Any free handling of a venomous snake is a risk. If the staff did not take any risks they would use protective contact and properly restrain the snakes in clear tubes. I agree the room is too small and the keepers have no room to get away if the cobra were to persue them for a bite, as they are known to do, even following prey into trees!
    • SMR
      Before this debate goes any further, you should be aware that a short time after this photo was taken, Luke Yeomans, who founded the sanctuary, was bitten by one of the snakes in his care, had a heart attack and died.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    King Cobra Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    29 May 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    151.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2011:05:29 11:55:56
    Exposure Time:
    10/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).