Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

The last saiga

The last saiga
    • snowleopard
      So the Cologne Zoo has douc langurs and a saiga? Impressive.
    • Zebraduiker
      But the saiga is very old, and I hope, no zoo will keep them anymore after this animal is gone, several hudnreds of siagas has lost their lives in captivity, its one of the species,w hich can't be kept in zoos. San Diego , with his hot climate, has imported them several years ago, and all of them died within a few weeks !
    • Sun Wukong
      @Zebraduiker: You're sure it's the last one? I was told that they still have two bucks.

I remember seeing those saigas in SD; must have been more than 10 years ago...

Yet I wouldn't say it's completely impossible to keep them-they are just not the very best species for all too confined, noisy and limited exhibits (ergo, pretty much most zoo exhibits...;) )
    • Ituri
      So does Moscow not have them anymore?
    • Zebraduiker
      @Sun Wukong. It is the last one.The other male died, sometime last year ? I've spoken to the keeper.
      @Ituri. No, Moscow has no saigas.
    • zoogiraffe
      Hopefully it will still be alive when i visit Koln in May,as its one of the main reasons i`m visiting the zoo.
    • Sun Wukong
      Shoot-what a pity...:(
    • James27
      Are they hard to keep because they get stressed easily? Maybe a zoo like Whipsnade should have a go at keeping them ;)
    • Maguari
      For the record, myself, zoogiraffe and our companions did see this animal in May. And what a wonderful creature it is.
    • Zebraduiker
      Yes, it is, but it is one of the species you can't keep in captivity.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cologne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    16 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    131.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ28
    Date / Time:
    2009:02:15 13:35:18
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    86.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).