Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

The old Chicken and pigeons house

This is one of the oldest buildings in the zoo.

The old Chicken and pigeons house
    • Zebraduiker
      This is one of the oldest buildings in the zoo.
    • snowleopard
      Some of the ancient buildings in many European zoos are quite intriguing, but it's often difficult for the structures to fit into the 21st century, modern zoological park.
    • mstickmanp
      How old is this building?
    • Zebraduiker
      It was opened in 1907.
    • Sun Wukong
      A '21st century, modern zoological park' should not be ashamed to embrace and integrate its past in its presentation.

'Nur wer die Vergangenheit kennt, hat eine Zukunft.'
      Only he who knows the past, has a future.

Karl Wilhelm von Humboldt

Call me nostalgic and 'Old School', but I think that the reasonable and tasteful integration of historic zoo building, considering modern husbandry ideas, can also add a nice individual charm to a zoo.
    • Zebraduiker
      @Example. Best example for hat is Breslau, its amazing, what they have done out of the old buildings and gave them a future with good animal exhibits, with exception of the pachyderm house, but this is one the next big projects of the zoo.
    • ralph
      Is it just domesticated breeds of chicken and pigeons in this building or are some (rare) exotic species found here as well?
    • lintworm
      I think now there are only domestic breeds and possibly some wild Gallus species, although Gallus varius wasn't there anymore this summer
    • Maguari
      When I was last there there were wild-form Gallus gallus and Columbia livia (wild-form externally, at any rate - whether they're completely pure I cannot say).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    1 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: