Join our zoo community
Moebelle

The Swamp - Otter + Snapping Turtle Exhibits

On the right is home to North American river otters, and on the left holds an alligator snapping turtle, chicken turtles, and a largemouth bass.

The Swamp - Otter + Snapping Turtle Exhibits
Moebelle, 2 Aug 2013
    • Moebelle
      On the right is home to North American river otters, and on the left holds an alligator snapping turtle, chicken turtles, and a largemouth bass.
    • joshgrossglaza
      how big is the alligator snapping turtle?
    • Moebelle
      If I remember correctly, the snapping turtle may have just been a foot long.
    • joshgrossglaza
      So how much would he weigh?
    • elefante
      How well does the otter get along with the snapping turtle? Hopefully it won't be missing a foot someday.
    • Moebelle
      They are kept separate.
    • Batto
      The reason of keeping North American river otters indoors in a zoo in Illinois is still beyond me...
    • JVM
      Lincoln Park Zoo's North American River Otter exhibit is outdoors, though the main viewing for guests is indoors into the outdoor exhibit. They use a similar facility for American beavers.

The Illinois section of The Swamp is a fairly small part of the larger building but the animals might be more fit in an outdoor exhibit I agree.
    • Batto
      @JVM: I saw both exhibits in person two years ago. While having the species in both zoos in Chicago is another thing to wonder about, I still do not understand why a zoo should keep a native species, naturally well adapted to the zoo's climate, indoors (a fact we both seem to agree on). That'd be like Norden's Ark keeping wolverines or Johannesburg Zoo keeping cheetahs indoors all the time...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brookfield Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    2 Aug 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    149.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    900px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).