Join our zoo community
TeaLovingDave

Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus) at Museum f?r Naturkunde, Berlin - Apri

One of the most famous mammal taxa to go extinct in modern times - and one which is displayed in many museums across Europe - this unusual marsupial taxon was present as part of a display on extinction within the Evolution in Action exhibit.

Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus) at Museum f?r Naturkunde, Berlin - Apri
    • TeaLovingDave
      One of the most famous mammal taxa to go extinct in modern times - and one which is displayed in many museums across Europe - this unusual marsupial taxon was present as part of a display on extinction within the Evolution in Action exhibit.

Tim May has provided an insight into the provenance of this specimen on my Berlin trip thread:

• Pertinax
      I also saw a historic Gorilla(Alfred) and a Thylacine the other day- in Bristol's museum. I wonder if Tim knows the provenance of the Bristol specimen, a large male which is well mounted and in good condition similar to this one.
    • Tim May
      The Bristol Museum thylacine died in London Zoo on Christmas Day 1914.
    • Pertinax
      Thanks Tim. For your information the Sumatran Rhino now shares a case with a Common Hippo as the two largest mammals on display.
    • Tim May
      Thanks, “Pertinax”, for this information; it is several years since I was last in Bristol so a visit, to both zoo and museum, is overview.

The Sumatran rhino is London Zoo’s “Jackson” but I don’t recall seeing a common hippo on display on my previous visits so I am interested to learn this.

Continuing this digression from the Berlin Museum, I trust that the genuine Burchell’s zebra is still on exhibit in the Bristol Museum.

Returning to the Berlin Museum, when I was last in Berlin, in the summer of 2014, the museum’s old Ungulate Gallery was closed and there were very few ungulates on show. If any ZooChatters have been to this museum recently I would be interested to know, please, if the Ungulate Gallery has re-opened or what the future plans for this area are.
    • Crowthorne
      Here is a picture I took in April 2015 of 'Jackson', you can just see the end of the hippo's jaws to the left.

I don't remember seeing a zebra, but looking through my photos there is a zebra's belly visible in the case behind the case containing the okapi calf, but unfortunately no picture of the zebra itself.
    • Tim May
      Thanks for this; some of the display cases appear to have been rearranged since I was there last; I must get back to Bristol in 2016,
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Museum für Naturkunde
    Uploaded By:
    TeaLovingDave
    Date:
    9 Dec 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    182.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S6800
    Date / Time:
    2014:04:09 11:16:20
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    6.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).