Tickell's brown hornbills, June 2013.

Photo taken on the 15th June 2013.

Tickell's brown hornbills, June 2013.
devilfish, 30 Jul 2013
DelacoursLangur and Sicarius like this.
    • devilfish
      Photo taken on the 15th June 2013.
    • vogelcommando
      Nice picture, one of the Hornbill-species I've seen sofar never alive.
    • toto98
      I didnĀ“t even know about this specie, it looks nice; how big was their enclosure?
    • devilfish
      The enclosure was the same size as those for the other smaller hornbills. Attached is a photo of this aviary with the pied hornbills' aviary next to it.
    • Hix
      That's a crap aviary for a hornbill that size. And with the nestbox up so high - do they think they're helicopters?
    • devilfish
      I agree that they're very poor. I don't think the brown hornbills even had a nestbox. Food trays and water are on the ground.

Pata zoo is on the top two floors of a department store/mall. The upper floor is mostly outdoors, and the lower floor is indoors. The enclosures of the lower floor, with exceptions (large monitors, some turtles, amphibians & snakes in small vivs, hedgehog & owl enclosures, small indoor aviary...) would be deemed acceptable in most zoos, and would hardly receive a second glance were they in reasonable zoos in the west.

The upper floor, however (which includes the hornbills, primates, cats, small rare birds, parrots, jackals...) does not have a single decent enclosure in the entire space, and many of them are very saddening. The walkthrough aviary on that floor looks reasonable but was closed.
    • alexkant
      They probably keep together two different species in this cage: Anorrhinus tickelli and Anorrhinus austeni
    • devilfish
      Good call. Thanks.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pata Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    30 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    261.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.1
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ20
    Date / Time:
    2013:06:15 16:59:30
    Exposure Time:
    10/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    8.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).