Join our zoo community
geomorph

Tierra de las Pampas - Sign

For details, see my review http://www.zoochat.com/22/review-santa-ana-zoo-161975/#post340412

Tierra de las Pampas - Sign
geomorph, 20 Jul 2010
    • Otter Lord
      A very important sign that deals with what the people walking through this exhibit are probably thinking. I like when zoo's cover different geographical places. Given the biodiversity of our planet, you'd there would be more than just Equatorial Africa, Amazon, SE Asia, North America, and the Tundra.
    • Arizona Docent
      I agree, the South American pampas is radically underrepresented in American zoos (and probably the world's zoos). Now, if only Santa Ana would get a pampas cat...
    • Maguari
      In Europe you tend to find most bigger zoos have some kind of South American 'pampas' exhibit, but usually some combination of the same few (not necessarily geographically accurate) species:

Guanaco
      Vicuna
      Greater or Darwin's Rhea
      Brazilian Tapir
      Capybara
      Mara

Increasingly, you can add Giant Anteater to the list. They always make nice exhibits but they tend to be very same-y. You occasionally see oddball additions such as Collared Peccaries at Stuttgart or (pinioned?) Turkey Vultures at Zlin - but these tend to have effect of messing up the geographic/habitat theme even more!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Santa Ana Zoo at Prentice Park
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    20 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: