Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

Tiger inside

Tiger inside
Zebraduiker, 20 Jan 2009
    • Ciololo
      outch :( sad one
    • snowleopard
      @Ciololo: you don't like rusty perches, peeling bars, a cement floor and blue tiles in tiger cages? It looks naturalistic to me! Hahaha...
    • Zebraduiker
      @Ciololo. Great post for the second...Ouch ! Sad one !
      Do you have any backstage knowledge of this old exhibit, which isn''t existing any longer ? I ask you the same question, snowleopard.Do you think its easy for a zoodirector to renovate a zoo, which has got absolutly no money from he city , the zoos owner, for more than 30 years ? Do you want to know what he has done ? He has send away a lot of animals to other zoos, because he couldn't keep them much longer at the zoo, and he couldn't build new exhibits for them, with no money. Could you that,snowleopard ? Building exhibits with NO Money ? And do you how many zoos are really interested in old big cats ? The zoo tried to find new homes for them, but NO zoo is interested in old big cats, so what has the zoo done ? First he stopped breeding and tried to find new homes for the younger cats, so the zoo could send the lions to Stuttgart and the tigers were send to Augsburg. All the other cats died in a very high age. Think about that. You make it yourself all to easy.
    • Toddy
      @Zebraduiker: Relax man... All snowleopard said was that the exhibit is not exactly "naturalistic". And you most admit that it certainly is not! I myself think it looks like a nasty exhibit, but this is certainly not a critique of the management at Frankfurt Zoo.

I have great respect for the old inner-city zoos such as Frankfurt Zoo. I know that they are trying to improve as fast as they can. I am sure that the director at the time did everything he could, and having seen the new Cat Jungle myself, I know that he did a good job:)

But that does not mean that we cannot criticize older cages and exhibits for being bad. For that is what they are, seen with the eyes of this millenium. I will always support an outdated inner-city zoo if they prove that they can build good exhibits when given the money to do so.And Frankfurt Zoo has proven that they can do so.

But anyway, thanks for the interesting story:)
    • Ciololo
      @Zebraduiker: believe me i saw a lot of sad things, I am working as keeper in eastern europe zoo and situation here is more then bad.

Forgive me, i don't want to insult your picture or some exhibit condition, it was only my expression about tiger. I wish that someday we will look in pics like this as an ancient history of zoo's not a reality.
    • Zebraduiker
      So an exhibit is only a good one, if it look " naturalistic ? " The tiger don't care about the fences, the blue tiles or the cement floor. What is really the reason for naturalistic exhibits ?
      I would say, the visitors eye, because the people today don't like fences, altough fences means, to gave the animals more space and for monkeys and other animals more possiblities for climbing...The people don't like tiles, the animals don't care about them.....I repeat, in not every case means a new, naturalistic exhibit that it is a good or better exhibit than the old one...Just a better LOOKING exhibit, thats the diffrence.
    • Zebraduiker
      What about pets at home ? Do you think, a flat is a naturalistic exhibit for cats, and so many cats have to spend their whole lives in a flat...Dogs also, or birds and small mammals....Or do pets don't feel the same way like "wild"animals at the zoos ?
    • Toddy
      @Zebraduiker: I think we will have to disagree here. Unlike most people, I do believe that apperance (to some extent) matters to most animals. The tiger exhibit in this picture seems to be quite dark with no natural light, such as a skylight or something (correct me if I'm wrong here). I think this matters a lot to animals to keep them from getting winter depressions, etc. About the hard cement floor, do you not think that the tiger would prefer a soft substrate such as wood chips?

And I know that naturalistic exhibits, unfortunately, does not always mean better exhibits. Nonetheless, I fell that all zoos should strive for naturalistic exhibits and thereby become "windows to nature", as zoos should be. This is important to teach the visitors about the wildlife and nature of the planet.

About the pets, have you ever heard me say that I have a dog or cat, etc.? Or weather i support it or not?
    • Dan
      Very well written, Ciololo! I totally support your vision! :)
    • Zebraduiker
      @Toddy. This inside cage was originally much brighter than it seems on the pictures, all inside cages has had windows in the roof, so the cats had daylight also in winter times. All cats could in winter choice, if they are inside or outside. No animal at the Frankfurt Zoo has or had Winter Depressions, and I'm sure, its only a human desease. I've never saw any animal with"Winter depressions", but maybe an animal doc knows more about that.

And let me tell another thing, have you seen any lion or tiger inside cage of the new big cats exhibits in all the zoos ? Most of them has just a little ,not very high room without any natural light or soft ground, which can seen by visitors. All other inside cages,where the cats spend most of the time, are much smaller, darker and have no enrichment and just a concrete floor, so this old Cage at the Frankfurt zoo was much better than this tiny new concrete holes....., belive me that,I've seen too much of this new Big Cats"Inside Exhibits"....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    20 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    177.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1039px
    Height:
    1600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).