Join our zoo community
chriswh123

Tiger playing in water

Tiger playing in the pond. http://www.myphotosontheweb.co.uk

Tiger playing in water
chriswh123, 2 Nov 2008
amur leopard likes this.
    • Mike11
      That is Katinka. A female Amur Tiger born to Deja and Mirko on the 19th April 2007. Her twin Makari was sent to Wildlife Heritage Foundation Spring/Summer last year.
    • Animal
      The Mirko who was born in Hamburg/Germany? So she is a hybrid too?
    • Mike11
      Mirko is the Male the father of Katinka and was born in Hamburg Zoo in 1998 The mother Deja was born in Leningrad Zoo in Russia in 1996.From what i have heard they are not sure who is the hybrid but its seems very slight maybe down from 4 or so generations it has not been recognised. The pair are getting quite old now and may only breed 1 more litter.I hope this is useful to you
    • Animal
      So i know him ;) Mirkos father is Sascha and his father is not a altaica ;) So she is a hybrid.
    • BearCat
      Does anybody know where Katinka will go?
    • Mike11
      The last i heard she may be going to another zoo to form a breeding pair or they will swap Mirko and Deja who are her parents for a new male. The decision has been holted due to the Hybrid confusion as far as i know.
    • GillP
      This is a lovely photo !

Thanks to this forum, I now know that the 3 tigers I saw the other day at Linton were Katinka, and her parents Mirko and Deja. As ever, the info at the tiger enclosure was sadly lacking (and it would be such a relatively quick and inexpensive "added value" task to print up some basic info sheets and stick them under the perspex they have there which currently contains a jumble of printed articles !)

2 of the tigers were out - don't know which ones - while the 3rd was in the holding cage at the back of the enclosure. I don't know if this is normal practice, but am guessing they wouldn't have father and daughter out together ?
    • Mike11
      They have Deja and Katinka out in the main enclosure and Mirko in the smaller pen during they day and they then swap around at night. The viewing hut i thought is full of loads of info to look at.
      Katinka is great fun to watch :)
    • GillP
      Thanks for confirming that Riziki - that's what I thought.

The viewing hut has quite a bit of info about tigers and conservation generally, but little about the tigers which are actually there .....

..... I admit I have a particular bee in my bonnet about specific info. So many zoos, in my experience, fall down in this regard. I personally like to know how old an animal is, what sex they are (it's not always obvious !), what their name is (if they have one) and what, if any, the family relationship is to any other animals in the same enclosure. If you're a returning visitor, I think it's natural to be curious about this. All this could be printed up and laminated for very little cost or effort.

Additionally, say, for a period of a year, it'd be interesting to have details about departed animals displayed - whether that be to another zoo, or through death ...... so you don't end up wondering "whatever happened to" a particular creature you once saw forever more.

This kind of info is really hit and miss ...... some zoos are much better than others at keeping visitors fully up to date which makes them feel involved (and therefore more likely, IMO, to return again). Others put the info on their website, but not at the zoo. I find it really frustrating as it's such a simple fix ..... I don't want fancy printed plaques, a laminated sheet would do me.

Linton isn't alone in this respect. For example, Chester has lots of info about its chimps and elephants (with ages, pictures, advice on how to identify an individual etc.) yet it doesn't have the same sort of info up about the orangs in RORA ....... even though the Sumatrans there are a lovely family group with adult sisters and their offspring who are all either brother or sister or 1st cousins to each other. Grrrrrrrr.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Linton Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    chriswh123
    Date:
    2 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    568.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    771px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D40
    Date / Time:
    2008:11:01 14:54:41
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    220 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).