Join our zoo community
jayjds2

Tiger shark

Galeocerdo cuvier. Gulf Stream Aquarium. June 30, 2017

Tiger shark
jayjds2, 1 Jul 2017
Sicarius, CarLover, Hipporex and 2 others like this.
    • snowleopard
      Great photo! How long would you estimate this Tiger Shark was? Were there any signs detailing its capture?
    • jayjds2
      @snowleopard thank you! I'm really terrible at estimating size and distance, though I'd say this shark was between 4 and 6 feet long. It was certainly an experience to see this species, one that I never dreamed of seeing. It stayed toward the back and top of the tank for the majority of the time, only making a sweep over the windows 3 times: I caught a tail just entering the facility, I missed it when I was on the top floor, and then, this last time, right before I left. There were no signs about the capture or acquisition of this or any other species in the largest tank. In fact, only one species had an identification with at all: mahi-mahi! Signage throughout the aquarium was quite poor. I did like one sign showing unsustainable seafood and good alternatives, but it was impossible to identify many species in this tank. I knew the sharks and rays on sight, along with the mahi-mahi, but that's it!
      snowleopard likes this.
    • DavidBrown
      What was your impression of the aquarium? Were there some cool exhibits? What species do they have in the big tank with the tiger shark?
    • jayjds2
      @DavidBrown for a brand new facility, I was kind of let down by the aquarium. It seemed like an aquarium that was designed by people who don't know how to build an aquarium. The bottom floor had a pitiful sea jelly collection, along with the biggest window (an annoyingly angled bubble) into this tank. The middle floor had several overcrowded tanks, though one tank about sargassum was very cool, with some species I'd never heard of. The top floor was also disappointing. The walk-through aviary was small and not impressive, and exhibits for kestrel, crocodilians, and other assorted reptiles were not well done.

As for other species: only one in the tank had a sign, but I was able to identify scalloped hammerhead shark, sandbar shark, lesser devil ray, mahi-mahi, and some sort of tuna.
    • DavidBrown
      Thanks for the review, jay. It sounds like a rather disappointing establishment, which is sad to hear considering how much time and money went into building it. Perhaps it will improve over time.
    • jayjds2
      @DavidBrown there is more to the museum than just the aquarium. I visited the temporary exhibition about space, and there was also a planetarium and two other exhibits that I did not see due to time. I hope, though, that the aquarium does get better over time.
    • jayjds2
      Well, about half a year later, I have some more information:

The tiger shark, which was a female, was about five feet long. As I observed for much of my visit, she spent too much time rubbing along the sides of the tank. Before this became a medical issue, she was released back into the wild. Additionally, the sandbar shark which was formerly kept no longer is. However, another rare species has taken their place: multiple silky sharks! This isn't the only American aquarium to exhibit them but they are always a nice sight.

A full list of species currently in the tank:

Scalloped hammerhead shark, silky shark, lesser devil ray, mahi-mahi, little tunny (Euthynnus alletteratus), rainbow runner (Elagatis bipinnulata), blue runner (Caranx crysos), bar jack (Caranx/Carangoides ruber), and yellow jack (Carangoides bartholomaei).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
    Uploaded By:
    jayjds2
    Date:
    1 Jul 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot SX520 HS
    Date / Time:
    2017:06:29 21:43:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).