Join our zoo community
Jackwow

Toad ID?

My friend found this one on his property the other day. We assume it's a toad but no idea what species. He found it when uprooting a tree stump which it had burrowed under and he reckons it stays underground during the dry season. Anyone any ideas?

Toad ID?
Jackwow, 24 Jun 2013
    • Jackwow
      My friend found this one on his property the other day. We assume it\'s a toad but no idea what species. He found it when uprooting a tree stump which it had burrowed under and he reckons it stays underground during the dry season. Anyone any ideas?
    • Gulo gulo
      Kaloula pulchra.
    • Jackwow
      Wow GG, thanks for the speedy response and ID. :)
    • dean
      Yep it's Kaloula pulchra or Asian painted frog, closely associated with villages and towns of South east Asia, and apparently rarely found anywhere else, though the burrowing habit of this species could be the reason it's over looked in the "wild".
    • vogelcommando
      In Dutch it's called Indische Ossekikker ( = Indian Ox frog ). If you have ever heared the sound ( noise ) they make, you will understand this name. I had years ago several in a tank in my bedroom and after I started a artificial rain-period, sleeping became quite difficult because althrough they are quite small, they pump up their body and produce a very loud noise which somehow sound like an ox !
    • Gulo gulo
      you're welcome, Jack.
    • dean
      Did you get them to lay VC? i believe they stick themselves together with a sort of glue instead of going into in amplexus is that corect? I could have them mixed up with other narrow mouth species though.
      dean
    • vogelcommando
      Nop, I recieved a lot of noise but no eggs ! In the 1980-ties they have been bred succesfull in a privat collection in Germany but because it was ( still is ? ) cheaper to import them then to breed them, few people take the difficulties to try it :(
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Laos - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Jackwow
    Date:
    24 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    398.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    533px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).