Join our zoo community
Maguari

Toolache Wallaby Sculpture at Chleby, 26/08/12

Part of an extensive extinct animals series. Can any Aussie members (or others!) confirm how 'Toolache' is pronounced? We had a debate and came up with about a dozen options!

Toolache Wallaby Sculpture at Chleby, 26/08/12
Maguari, 10 Oct 2012
    • Maguari
      Part of an extensive extinct animals series.

Can any Aussie members (or others!) confirm how \'Toolache\' is pronounced? We had a debate and came up with about a dozen options!
    • Chlidonias
      too. la. chee (with a hard a as in cat)
    • Maguari
      Thanks Chli! We had that as one of the frontrunners but had no way of knowing if it was right. :D

Was really heard to see past 'tool' - 'ache'.
    • Chlidonias
      I actually added a postscript saying "(not "Tool Ache)" but removed it before posting because I thought that was silly :D

So how does one pronounce "Chleby"?
    • Maguari
      Setting myself up to be corrected by one of our Czech friends here, but I believe the correct (if probably slightly anglicised) pronunciation is:

Klay-bee

(-ay to rhyme with day)
    • Chlidonias
      I thought kle-bee, and if anyone said I was wrong I would just blame my NZ accent.
    • docend24
      Here you go: Acapela Text to Speech Demo (choose czech, copy+paste Chleby and click on say it!). Czech is quite straightforward in pronounciation, just somewhat unusual and sometimes hard to pronounce for foreigners.

You may just try Chomutov as well, same letter (Ch is considered a stand alone letter in czech alphabet), same pronounciation.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Chleby
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    10 Oct 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    427 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:26 11:43:48
    Exposure Time:
    10/10000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).