Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Toronto Zoo - Giraffe Paddock

July 2008. Large grassy meadow for the giraffes, who can come quite close to the public.

Toronto Zoo - Giraffe Paddock
snowleopard, 22 Aug 2008
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. Large grassy meadow for the giraffes, who can come quite close to the public.
    • mstickmanp
      How was their indoor exhibit? I know they must spend at least a month or two during the winter.
    • snowleopard
      The outdoor paddock is obviously nice and grassy, but the indoor barn appears to be the typical size for giraffes. Nothing that spectacular.
    • Zoogoer2000
      The giraffe barn is actually very old and somewhat small and a new one is due to open 2011.The giraffe don't have an indoor on display exhibits so theyre basically unviewable in the winter.I think a new indoor exhibit and a rejuvanation of this paddock is going to happen along with the new barn as it was all supposed to happen with the Savannah Project in 1998 but because of financial cutbacks,it was skipped
    • snowleopard
      If the giraffes are going to be shifted into a newly renovated exhibit (that previously held elephants) then what is going to be done with the old giraffe enclosure? Are there any plans in place?
    • arcticwolf
      That is a question that many of us are wondering. I know that the current giraffe house will be replaced by a new building. The house and exhibit will be home to some kind of African hoofstock, but the species is unspecified. Other than a new house being created for a new African species, not much is known about the future of this exhibit. Whatever construction happens to this exhibit, it should be done in 2015 at the latest.
    • cypher
      I would think some construction is needed for whatever new animal they're bringing in. Current layout of the exhibit seems built solely for Giraffe's in mind.
    • arcticwolf
      I'm also wondering what species they would pick. This is a pretty large exhibit and it seems too big for most hoofstock species. The only single species I can see fitting nicely into this exhibit are rhinos (already at the zoo), hippos (already at the zoo), or cape buffalo (rare in captivity). The only other option which seems like the best option is to create a mixed species exhibit featuring multiple antelope and bird species. I would personally love to see wildebeest, eland, gazelles, and ostriches in this exhibit.
    • TZFan
      Its a great mystery to try and solve isnt it? I dont know what will join the zoo. I would also like a mixed species exhibit but the zoo really doesnt embrace this concept too often. I would first like some mixing with the giraffes. I want the ostriches with them. I'd like any speices of zebra to join them and any antelope. Thats the realistic side. Maybe 3 or four friends for the giraffes if they decide to mix at all. I would love the new hoofstock exhibit to be mixed as well. Wildebeests would be fantastic to build an exhibit around. They would fit in really nicely across from the hyenas.

Unfortunately species I would die to have wont fit there geographically and well might be harder to get. I would love to see bongos back. THey dont fit in the savannah. Or if the zoo gods shone down on us and we got Okapis... I would love okapis. Is it possible to get them? Highly unlikely but one can dream...

Wait wait wait... Forget hoofstock. The zoo should change its mind. I want African Wild Dogs! It would be a huge exhibit that could house a good sized pack. Yes it needs significant renos to allow it but come on it would be awesome.
    • cypher
      I'd love to seen some African Wild Dogs. They should do that instead.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    22 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    348.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:08 10:34:04
    Exposure Time:
    10/10000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).