Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Toronto Zoo - Moose Exhibit

July 2008. A large paddock that lacks a deep pool.

Toronto Zoo - Moose Exhibit
snowleopard, 22 Aug 2008
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. A large paddock that lacks a deep pool.
    • Zoogoer2000
      Its quite surpirising that they don't have one but then again,this is a 32 year old paddock
    • Animaldude
      is this the only moose at toronto zoo?
    • Quartz92
      No there is one male and one female. Males name is Elliot. I wonder if the zoo will ever breed the moose?
    • Animaldude
      what's the cow's name?
    • Zoogoer2000
      The male is Elliot and the female is Ashley
    • ungulate nerd
      Does anyone know what subspecies the Moose (Alces alces) at Toronto Zoo are ?
    • arcticwolf
      I'm not positive but I think the zoo has Eastern moose (Alces alces americana). The only one I know for sure is the male who was born in the wild in Ontario. I know the eastern and western subspecies can both be found in Ontario, but I think someone told me at least the male is Eastern.
    • ungulate nerd
      Thank you arcticwolf, that is very interesting!
      I know Boise Zoo had two female Shiras moose (Alces alces shirasi) and one male Western moose (Alces alces andersoni), San Diego Zoo's last moose was a Shiras moose (Alces alces shirasi), I know Columbus Zoo has Alaskan moose (Alces alces gigas) and Eastern moose (Alces alces americana), I wonder how North American zoos source their Moose ? Correct me if i am wrlng but i'd imagine that a majority are wild caught ?
    • arcticwolf
      The Toronto Zoo's male was orphaned in the wild. He was taken in by people who kept him as a pet. When they realized that they couldn't keep him anymore they sent him to the zoo.

The Toronto Zoo also breeds moose often. Currently there are twin babies at the zoo. I posted pictures of them in the gallery.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    22 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    582.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:08 11:12:38
    Exposure Time:
    10/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).