Join our zoo community
toto98

Torrent duck - Merganetta armata colombiana

My favourite duck species (after the tropical cinammon teal), it is found in rapid rivers in the high Andes, saw them yesterday and they had 3 chicks, but it was very difficult to take them a good picture. The male is the white individual and the female is the brownish one, if you watch carefully you?ll see a chick right to the lower left rock of the male. There are no animals in captivity, unless there are in private collections, so the wild is the only place to see them. The colombian subspecies is the most endangered one, but it is ranked as Vulnerable, while the rest of the subspecies are ranked at low risk. Finally, if you watch carefully you might see that the male is ringed.

Torrent duck - Merganetta armata colombiana
toto98, 1 Jul 2014
Coelacanth18 and devilfish like this.
    • toto98
      My favourite duck species (after the tropical cinammon teal), it is found in rapid rivers in the high Andes, saw them yesterday and they had 3 chicks, but it was very difficult to take them a good picture.

The male is the white individual and the female is the brownish one, if you watch carefully you´ll see a chick right to the lower left rock of the male.

There are no animals in captivity, unless there are in private collections, so the wild is the only place to see them. The colombian subspecies is the most endangered one, but it is ranked as Vulnerable, while the rest of the subspecies are ranked at low risk.

Finally, if you watch carefully you might see that the male is ringed.
      devilfish likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      very nice. This is one of my favourite ducks too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colombia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    1 Jul 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    253.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/5.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2014:06:29 16:19:03
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    240 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).