Join our zoo community
Mr Gharial

Toucan aviaries - Knobbed hornbill

Temporarily (?) here in the toucan aviaries, it sat on this perch for most of the day

Toucan aviaries - Knobbed hornbill
Mr Gharial, 13 Jun 2021
    • Great Argus
      Not Wrinkled Hornbill, this is a male Knobbed Hornbill.
    • Mr Gharial
      @Great Argus

Well, I'm not a hornbill expert, but ZTL Lists the wrinkled hornbill as the only Asian hornbill outside the hornbill aviaries. There was also still a knobbed hornbill and signage for the knobbed hornbill still in the Hornbill aviaries in the beginning of the park

But again, I'm no expert so I could be wrong
    • Great Argus
      @Mr Gharial I'm not sure where to view the zoo location information you reference, but having seen both Knobbed and Wrinkled multiple times I'm quite certain of the ID. The blue throat, all white tail, and larger size are enough to easily separate it as Knobbed.
    • Mr Gharial
      @Great Argus The knobbed hornbill signage, as well as a knobbed hornbill, were at the hornbill aviaries near the beginning at the park. ZTL also lists the knobbed hornbill as being in the hornbill aviaries.

ZTL doesn't list the wrinkled hornbill as being in the hornbill aviaries. And I found this one, without signage, in the toucan aviaries near the exit of the Gorilla adventure and the entrance to the tiger tunnel
    • korhoen
      @Mr Gharial I saw this bird myself last week and can confirm this is a knobbed hornbill. Judging by the appearance of this bird I thought it is probably a chick of the pair in the hornbill aviaries. The wrinkled hornbills are in the first of the hornbill aviaries as seen from the entrance. I saw them there myself last week.
    • Mr Gharial
      @korhoen

Fair enough, I've changed the title. Though I think it would make more sense if this was one of the parents and the chick was with the other parent in the hornbill aviaries. As this one looked quite old with some very aged wings (see the other picture where the bird is flying, you can see it's missing some feathers)
    • korhoen
      @Mr Gharial the missing feathers is probably a sign of moult, which is something a bird does regularly throughout its life. I based my impression that this was a young bird on the shorter bill and less-vibrant colours of the bill and casque in this bird compared to adults I have seen. But I could be wrong ofcourse :)
      Mr Gharial likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ouwehands Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Mr Gharial
    Date:
    13 Jun 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    318.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    743px
    Height:
    991px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).