Join our zoo community
cypher

Tree Kangaroo Plaque

This is the plaque for Collins on a pillar of the exhibit. Off the top of my head, the only other animals that have anything like this, giving there name and a bit of info on them are the Orangutans and Gorillas. I wish they did more of this around the zoo.

Tree Kangaroo Plaque
cypher, 30 Nov 2016
Jonas likes this.
    • TZFan
      Do they have a card up for Nokopo too that I've never bothered to notice?
    • cypher
      I looking and couldn't find one. I'm still surprised to see this one. Very unexpected especially for this species.
    • TZFan
      I would love to see more of these kinds of signs all over the zoo. They aren't just animals. Each is an individual with his or her own story and personality and appearance. Knowing more about them can get people more interested and invested.
    • cypher
      Very true @TZFan. I would love to see more of these signs. It would also help people differentiate between the animals. At the Orangutans and Gorillas, people use the signs to tell who is who all the time.
    • TZFan
      The signs don't need to be as elaborate or big as the ones for the apes but little ones just like the one for Collins would be super. Just a piece of paper with a photo and blurb in some kind of protective holder. Paper is cheap and can be replaced as needed. The protective holders would cost some especially for outdoor exhibits but it would be well worth it to build greater connections between guests and animals. It'd be one of the first things I'd do if put in charge. Fast, easy and relatively inexpensive compared to my other grander plans.
    • cypher
      I can understand that not all animals would get this, but having them for some of the bigger, or even more standout animals would be neat. Polar Bears, Lions, Sumatran Tigers (even the Amur when they return), Rhinos (both species), Cheetahs, Jaguars, etc.

And your right in signage being more costly for outdoor exhibits, but I don't see the problem with indoor ones.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    30 Nov 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3024px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 7
    Date / Time:
    2016:11:29 11:00:55
    Exposure Time:
    1/17 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 40
    Focal Length:
    3.99 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).