Join our zoo community
Paradoxurus

Tree Porcupine at Glasgow Zoo, 2002

Tree Porcupine at Glasgow Zoo, 2002
Paradoxurus, 2 Feb 2009
    • Gentle Giant
      I wonder where did it go after Glasgow Zoo closed down?
    • bigcat speciali
      It did not go any where, it died in 2003 from a tumour to its lower maxila. We put it down and it was then sent to the Museum of Scotland.
    • johnstoni
      You did very well with this species for a while, though?
    • bigcat speciali
      Yes, we did a good job with both the tree and crested porc's, more and better success with the crested than the tree though. What I find so laughable and to be honest, stupid. Is the fact that Galloway Wildlife Park states that they are the only zoo or park in Scotland to have them...just goes to show how BS is spread about!! ;)
    • zoogiraffe
      Well correct me if I`m wrong but at the moment they are the only collection in Scotland that currently exhibit`s this species,in which case what they are saying is not BS,if they said that they were the only collection to ever have kept them then that will be BS.
    • bigcat speciali
      I quote from the GWCP: "They are possibly the first species kept in captivity in Scotland." This is BS and laughable, there were many other Tree Porcs kept, not just at Glasgow but elsewhere. To make such a bold statement without researching facts etc makes a joke seem tame..;)
    • zoogiraffe
      Okay so I`m wrong then,but any zoo can make a mistake with their PR statements!
    • johnstoni
      How did you do with your Tree Porcupines? Where else in Scotland do you remember them? I remember an interesting article in IZN about the enclosure.

Can I ask, who owns Kirsty, the Asian Elephant that left Glasgow in the 1980s and now lives in Germany?
    • Scot Red Panda
      GWCP was stating clearly that they claimed a first and present species in Scotland after Edinburgh Zoo. Both currently have the animals in Scotland. A young porcupine was born at Galloway recently.

As far I know there are not many North American Porcupines in UK, there have few collections such as in Blackpool, Exmoor and Eagle Heights.
    • bigcat speciali
      Sorry, but how can you at GWCP claim to be the first and have the only species of this porcupine? Especially as Glasgow and Edinburgh have and had these porcupines well before you even existed. At Glasgow we bred a number of tree porcupines however, we bred crested porc's by the dozen's. Many an article was published on the sucess that was gained through the dedication and ongoing research that was done at Glasow.
      To make such a bold claim as having or the possibility of having the only species makes a mockery of the good hard work done by other zoos....

Time to get your facts right and stop boasting about things, stop dreaming. GWCP can never claim to be the only place in Scotland to ever have the animals...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Glasgow Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Paradoxurus
    Date:
    2 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    218.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).