snowleopard

Tropical Encounters - Two-Toed Sloth Exhibit

Aug. 2nd, 2014.

Tropical Encounters - Two-Toed Sloth Exhibit
snowleopard, 27 Aug 2014
    • snowleopard
      Aug. 2nd, 2014.
    • DavidBrown
      How does this tropical house compare with its crosstown rival tropical building at the Minnesota Zoo?

What were the species highlights of the Como Zoo tropics building?
    • snowleopard
      @DavidBrown Como Park's tropical building is much smaller and not even comparable to the larger structure at Minnesota Zoo. Como Park has a Central & South American theme, with the Hoffmann's Two-toed Sloth being the only mammal species there. Signage is very poor, with about a dozen or so bird species but few informational signs on what is flying around one's head. Croaking Ground Dove, Bananaquit and various tanagers are all that I've recorded from my visit in 2014. There is a Leafcutter Ant display, a Green Anaconda exhibit and an impressive tank full of some large Amazonian fish that is probably the highlight of the building.
      DavidBrown likes this.
    • birdsandbats
      @DavidBrown Snowleopard has summed it up pretty well. The signage is poor, especially where free-flying birds are concerned. I know they have a cotinga species (either Spangled or Lovely). I know they used to have some rare tanager species that I can only assume came from DWA, though I don't know if they still keep any of those. I've heard rumors of Golden-Headed Manakins, though I can't confirm these either.

Note that the sloth rotates between here and the primate house. I personally think the highlight of this building, however, is the caecillian tank.
      DavidBrown likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    27 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    363.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2014:08:03 09:21:22
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).