Join our zoo community
Ituri

Tropical Fish Touch Tank

Visitors can feed and even pet the fish in this open-topped display.

Tropical Fish Touch Tank
Ituri, 20 Dec 2012
    • Ituri
      Visitors can feed and even pet the fish in this open-topped display.
    • Chlidonias
      not sure I'd want to trust my fingers with a pufferfish!
    • Ituri
      I fully agree!
    • condor
      Rabbitfish (venomous spines in fins) and surgeonfish (razor sharp spine at tail) aren't exactly safe either!
    • devilfish
      Is this definitely a touch tank? I can't see any live invertebrates, which I'd usually expect, and a few of those fishes would fit much more comfortably in a 'dangerous fish' display.

Ituri, do you remember if the green iguana at the back is also petting material? Does it have much access to land?
    • Ituri
    • snowleopard
      Does the fact that the owner has now been charged twice with illegal wildlife acts deter a ZooChatter from visiting the subpar aquarium...or does that make any kind of difference to an average visitor?
    • Chlidonias
      it definitely deters me for one. For your average visitor I would say not (few would even know about it anyway).
    • condor
      snowleopard -- highly unlike that I'd visit this place because of the info I have on the it (simply not worth my time), but if we assumed it was a place I wanted to visit: Twice charged wouldn't change anything for me. Twice convicted would.
      Unless the conviction is about elephants, apes or something like that, I doubt it changes anything to most ordinary zoo visitors.
    • Ituri
      The first conviction was a board member and had to do with his private business, which gave me pause but didn't completely deter me. This time however, the aquarium itself is directly involved. It is named as a defendant on the indictment. It seems based on activity on their Facebook page that the average guest doesn't really care as long as their kids enjoy petting the fishes. I have always been cautious of my support of this facility as their have been numerous alarm bells from the beginning. It will be interesting to wait and see if there is a conviction and what that means for the future of this organization.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aquarium of Boise
    Uploaded By:
    Ituri
    Date:
    20 Dec 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: