Join our zoo community
hmb_zoo

Two Wattled / Johnstone's Cassowary (female?) / Hamerton / 17-6-20

I think this is the female, who was flipping up her feed and catching it in her mouth.

Two Wattled / Johnstone's Cassowary (female?) / Hamerton / 17-6-20
    • SivatheriumGuy
      Aren't Hamerton's cassowaries Johnston's cassowaries?
    • hmb_zoo
      @SivatheriumGuy Yes, I think you might be right with Johnstone's but on their own website they call them two-wattled so that is the name I used in my post. Not sure if there is a difference as I'm no expert, do you know?

I've edited the title now too.
    • SivatheriumGuy
      As far as I know, the Johnston's cassowary is a subspecies of the two wattled cassowary, so you are right.
    • pangolin12
      Not all of hamerton’s cassowaries are Johnstone’s, I think the individual/s behind the flamingoes are two-wattled and the pair near the outback aviary are Johnstone’s :)
    • Andrew Swales
      @hmb_zoo

Our Johnson's Cassowaries (Casuarius casuarius johnsonii - the Australian sub-species of the Two-wattled or Southern) are housed between (and behind) the vulture aviaries and the exit of the Outback walk-through. This pair were imported direct from Australia. They are Johnson's - not Johnstone's.

Our second pair of Cassowaries (Casuarius casuarius spp.) are housed behind the Flamingos. These birds are 'generic' Southerns, and came from Holland and the US.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hamerton Zoo Park
    Uploaded By:
    hmb_zoo
    Date:
    25 Jun 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    10.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3356px
    Height:
    3340px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2020:06:17 13:40:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    400 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).