Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

unidentified hermit crabs

these are really neat little hermit crabs which live inside empty tubeworm tubes rather than in empty snail shells; I have no idea which species they are. You can also see the feathery heads of a few tubeworms in some of the other tubes, and bryozoans growing over the empty shells at the top. Photo taken 27 August 2010

unidentified hermit crabs
Chlidonias, 29 Aug 2010
JigerofLemuria likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      these are really neat little hermit crabs which live inside empty tubeworm tubes rather than in empty snail shells; I have no idea which species they are. You can also see the feathery heads of a few tubeworms in some of the other tubes, and bryozoans growing over the empty shells at the top.

Photo taken 27 August 2010
    • RhinoIguana154
      They're coral hermit crabs
    • Chlidonias
      what is a "coral hermit crab"?
    • RhinoIguana154
      Google it :)
      They are these fascinating creatures that has their homes in coral! (probably they move into the holes of corals I don't know that much)
    • jbnbsn99
      You realize you just told a moderator and one of the most skilled wildlife experts on the site to just "google it?"

Just checking...
    • RhinoIguana154
      He told me what they are :/
    • Chlidonias
      if you mean Paguritta then yes they probably are in that genus but I don't know which species they are. These are not tropical by the way, they are native to New Zealand.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    29 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    272 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Aperture:
    f/16.0
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2010:08:27 08:51:15
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).