Join our zoo community
Dormitator

Unidentified quail

Desert house

Unidentified quail
Dormitator, 23 Apr 2018
CarLover likes this.
    • Kakapo
      California quail (Callipepla californica)
    • Dormitator
      @Kakapo brill, thought it might be. Thanks!
    • birdsandbats
      Actually, I believe this may be a Scaled Quail (Callipepla squamata), or possibly a hybrid between Scaled and California.
    • Kakapo
      squamata?!?? dear, no! Maybe an hybrid (with more than 90% of blood of californica) could not be rejected at all, but why do you think that it can be other than a pure California quail??? They're extremely common in aviculture, much more than possible hybrids...
    • Dormitator
      @birdsandbats unfortunately I don't really have any better photographs which might sort the issue...
    • Mehdi
      @birdsandbats: Definitely doesn't look like a Scaled quail to me, simply because there are no scales on its breast. California quail seems correct though.
    • birdsandbats
      It's possible it's pure californica, but the markings on its breast looked a little more like squamata to me.
    • Kakapo
      No, the markings on its breast are completely from normal californica, and doens't match with squamata. It's clear as water, that this is a California quail. All the features that it could have from a scaled quail are just the ones that are shared with California quail, while it lacks completely every one of the features that scaled have and California not, while it have all the features that California have and scaled not...
      Mehdi likes this.
    • AdrianW1963
      This is a Female California Quail with the colouring and the feather shape and speckled areas plus it has the unmistakable yellowish colouring to the feather around the base of the tail.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Birdland Park & Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Dormitator
    Date:
    23 Apr 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 7D
    Date / Time:
    2018:04:14 10:55:29
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).