Join our zoo community
ralph

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra), San Jose Zoo

Those colors make me suspect it is either a breeding form or a hybrid...

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra), San Jose Zoo
ralph, 25 Aug 2017
    • Chlidonias
      the colours look like a mutation to me. The bird seems to be lacking its tail feathers, but the bill (albeit partly hidden) and body-shape remind me of a small barbet.
    • vogelcommando
      I'm quite sure its one of the Summer tanager-species moulting into adult/breeding condition.
      ralph and Chlidonias like this.
    • Chlidonias
      yes, following vogelcommando's comment (and looking at photos of how strange they look - to me - in their patchy red and yellow transitional plumages), I agree. I think the Summer Tanager itself, Piranga rubra, is the best fit in wing and bill colour.
      ralph likes this.
    • ralph
      A bird in its transitional form - that makes a lot of sense. Why didn't I think of that before.

Summer tanager is a good guess, although it could be a Hepatic tanager as well. If the tip of the bill would have been visible, I would have certainty. Oh well!
    • Great Argus
      Certainly a Summer Tanager, Piranga rubra. Hepatic Tanagers have an all dark bill with a distinct tooth half way along. Wings also look better for Summer as well. Not sure what the tip of the bill has to do with anything.

If the photo was taken in August, the bird would be molting out of breeding plumage. It would be presumably finishing up its late summer molt, accounting for the blotchy plumage and lack of tail feathers.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Costa Rica - Other
    Uploaded By:
    ralph
    Date:
    25 Aug 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    399.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-HX400V
    Date / Time:
    2017:08:18 16:56:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    116.84 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).