Join our zoo community
aim_foliksta

Unknown hawk

Possibly a Saker Falcon or a Gyrfalcon ... (one was the name of their sign an other the name used at the falconry exhibition)

Unknown hawk
aim_foliksta, 26 Jan 2009
    • aim_foliksta
      Possibly a Saker Falcon or a Gyrfalcon ... (one was the name of their sign an other the name used at the falconry exhibition)
    • bongorob
      Gyrfalcon I think.
    • kc7gr
      Too small...

Nope, that's a Saker. I can say this with confidence because our falconry mentor has a Gyr/Saker hybrid, and he's bigger than the bird in the shot (though he has much the same coloration). Also, I've seen some recent photos of Saker falcons, and they look nearly identical to this pic.

Handsome example of the species, though, and still pretty young. Note the powder-blue color of feet and cere. They often turn bright yellow in mature birds.

Happy travels.
    • bongorob
      Thanks for correcting me kc7gr. I'm not much of a bird of prey expert.
    • kc7gr
      You're entirely welcome. Honestly, neither am I. The only reason I spotted that one as a Saker is because I'd seen others, and because the hybrid our mentor has exhibits the same pattern on the breast feathers.

Happy travels.
    • Kakapo
      For me is a pure gyrfalcon, or as much, an hybrid with 3 parts of gyrfalcon and 1 part of saker. I cared many sakers and they're very different, although I never saw a true pure gyrfalcon (except in photos, clear).
    • Steven D'Amato
      The bird in this photograph is a juvenile gyrfalcon, light phase. The plumage is almost identicle to the photograph of a bird, in the group of plates between pages 112 and 113 in Grossman and Hamlet's Birds of Prey of the World, Copyright 1964, Bonanza Books, New York. The bill's cere and talons being blue is the diagnostic characteristic for the age of this falcon.
    • mark77
      i doubt its a pure gyr but likely to a hybred. Both species have a wide range of colour gyr (black to white) Saker (pale sand to reddish brown)and being closely related many domestic hybreds (to 5th of more generation) are easily produced and there is no set look for a hybred gyr x saker.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Spain - Other
    Uploaded By:
    aim_foliksta
    Date:
    26 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    225.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    800px
    Aperture:
    f/4.3
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-500
    Date / Time:
    2008:12:08 12:11:30
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    134 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).