Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

Usti nad Labem Cheetah House Inside

Usti nad Labem Cheetah House Inside
Zebraduiker, 25 Dec 2008
    • Swedish Zoo Fan
      I'm not very impressed with this exhibit.
    • Sun Wukong
      You haven't seen the outdoor exhibit...
    • Naimsindi
      The outside exhibit may be fantastic but I'm betting they spend most of their time inside and it's disappointing to see a lack of suitable substrate.

Also, although I understand the need for indoor heating for cheetah, I have read studies indicating that it can dry out their lungs. :(
    • Zebraduiker
      I know a zoo in germany, where the cheetahs can go in and out all the year round, 24 hours a day, and they are doing great ! And the stall is just a little bit heated, but not very much. Only in times, when the zoo tries to breed them, one of the cheetahs must be kept inside for the night.
    • Sun Wukong
      I was in Usti on the 1st of January this year. The outdoor temperature was at least 5°C sub zero, and it was constantly snowing, yet both cheetahs were outside, with the constant option to go into their indoor enclosure if needed. So very similar to what Zebraduiker describes...

When it comes to indoor husbandry, conditions behind the scenes are usually still pretty much the same-even in the UK...

And @Naimsindi: "Dry" out? Could you please cite the source for this claim? At best in the form of a factual, accredited veterinary publication?
    • Naimsindi
      Sorry Sun I must have missed this first time around!

As someone who works "behind the scenes" in the UK I agree off show holding areas and most indoor accommodation houses/sheds are small but most have suitable substrate. I have not seen any as barren as this and that really was my point.

As for my source? True it is anecdotal from my boss and reiterated at a talk I attended by Dr Laurie Marker (where they were discussing cheetah living longer in captivity in warmer climates vs cooler although she did advocate IR lamps if necessary). But as I trust both of their opinions I had no reason to question it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Ústí nad Labem
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    25 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count: