Join our zoo community
Maguari

Valley of Desolation, Dominica

Great name and very spooky place.

Valley of Desolation, Dominica
    • Maguari
      Great name and very spooky place.
    • Maguari
      This is bit random but I just came across the postcard I sent home from Dominica and it is a shot of the Valley of Desolation bearing the legend:

"Valley of Desolation: A Glimpse of Paradise Itself"

Now that's PR for you - managing to equate 'desolation' with 'paradise' is quite impressive!
    • Hix
      I'm guessing from the steam this valley is volcanic?
    • Maguari
      It is indeed - complete with sulphurous smells and pools of white-coloured hot water. Dominican geography sounds a bit like a kids' adventure book sometimes - you have to trek down the Valley of Desolation to reach the Boiling Lake. It's a good and interesting day's trek there and back, but a frustrating amount of the route has been carved into steps, which I always find more exhausting than just the hillside!
    • Hix
      Carved steps are probably a safety thing, but for me they would detract from the overall experience. A bit like going into a cave system on a concrete path with handrails.
    • Maguari
      I'm sure you're right with the safety thing. It's a bit of a tourist route and they'll want to be careful. Not that that stopped one of my lecturers from slipping and dislocating his elbow thanks to having a walking pole around his wrist that jammed in the ground...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dominica - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    2 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    346.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2007:01:30 14:49:42
    Exposure Time:
    10/2200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).