Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Vanishing Kingdom - Orangutan Exhibit (no outdoor access)

Aug. 5th, 2014.

Vanishing Kingdom - Orangutan Exhibit (no outdoor access)
snowleopard, 30 Aug 2014
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Aug. 5th, 2014.
    • Falcosparverius
      Is there only one exhibit for the orangutan(s?)? If there is only one, this space is still not adequate for a great ape, I'm estimating this enclosure to be 12 feet tall and 25 feet diameter. Anything else to add?
    • snowleopard
      I agree that it is far too small for orangutans, and of note is that these 7 North American zoos all have orangutans with zero outdoor access: Toronto, Racine, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Brookfield, Fort Wayne and Birmingham. Are those the last 7 zoos on the continent to keep orangutans inside year-round?

On another note, Brookfield (again), Buffalo and Franklin Park are the last 3 zoos to keep gorillas indoors year-round. Does anyone know of any other zoos that maintain great apes indoors with zero access to outside? If Brookfield ever renovated "Tragic World" then outdoor exhibits for its great apes would make logical sense.
    • Wild wolverine
      I agree that it's a bit too small, and that they should have outdoor access. (If i remember correctly, the Racine Zoo has the space on that side of the building to construct an outdoor exhibit for the orangs, correct me if I am wrong, snowleopard :)
      But what this exhibit lacks in outdoor access, it at least has gunite trees/floors. In my personal opinion, its better than Milwaukee Zoo's orangutan exhibits, and the orangutans at Milwaukee have outdoor access, but the indoor exhibits are almost hard for me to look at...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Racine Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    30 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    250.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2014:08:05 15:49:45
    Exposure Time:
    10/40 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).