Join our zoo community
carlos77

Vaquita Porpoise phocena sinus Acuario Centro Cultural Tijuana

Vaquita Porpoise  phocena sinus Acuario Centro Cultural Tijuana
carlos77, 25 May 2013
    • carlos77
      vaquita porpoise acuario centro cultural tijuana
      This may be the only preserved vaquita porpoise on exhibit in the world. There are only about 100 to 200 vaquitas left. They are one of the most endangered sea mammals. Sadly, their future is bleak.
    • carlos77
      This particular vaquita or gulf of california porpoise was found floating dead on the highest upper section of the gulf of california and was recovered by the mexican enviromental agencia PROFEPA ( Procuraduria Federal del Medio Ambiente ) on Dicember 2010. The preserved adult vaquita was given by Profepa to the Centro Cultural Tijuana on November 2011 for its exhibition to the general public. I was quite surprised to see it.
    • ungulate nerd
      Wow Carlos77, this display is quite interesting, I have never seen a display like this with any cetacean species let alone Vaquita, I have only seen displays like this with fish (Oarfish and Opahs at the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History), thanks for sharing this great photo with us !!!
    • carlos77
      Thank you, ungulate nerd. Sadly, the normal coloration has faded on this preserved specimen, but it does seem to be a unique presentation which had not been posted on the internet.
    • carlos55
      As vogelcommando has just posted new reports state that there are only about 100 vaquitas left and the species may be gone before the decade is over, unless drastic measures are taken.
    • TheMightyOrca
      Neat! I wanna go see it in person!
    • Chlidonias
    • carlos55
      Yesterday,26th of october,2015, mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto stated that the international research team on the vessel Ocean star has made sightings of vaquita 25 times during the last 20 days. EPN considers this to be the positive result of the actions by mexican federal authorities that have prohibited net fishing in the vaquita´s habitat. Consider other factors here:
      1.- All mexican presidents are liars. The same day EPN said the faith of the mexican people had stopped hurricane Patricia.
      2.- The same vaquita is following the Ocean Star and loves to have his picture taken.
      3.- The population of the vaquita has been underestimated.
      4. - All of the above.
    • Osedax
      There are now less than 10 vaquitas left :(
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tijuana Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    carlos77
    Date:
    25 May 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    181.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2012:05:17 12:55:58
    Exposure Time:
    10/150 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).