Join our zoo community
jacks zoo

Vervet Monkey and Porcupines Cefn-yr-Erw

Cage on left contains crested porcupines, on right vervet monkeys and a single mona monkey

Vervet Monkey and Porcupines Cefn-yr-Erw
jacks zoo, 19 Apr 2009
    • jacks zoo
      Cage on left contains crested porcupines, on right vervet monkeys and a single mona monkey
    • snowleopard
      @jacks zoo: I appreciate you posting all of these photos of atrocious zoos, but aren't there any animal rights organizations (or even a local humane society) that can put an end to these abominations?
    • James27
      Snowleopard, this is actually a primate sanctuary, and although the enclosures aren't great they're better than some of the conditions the animals came form.
    • snowleopard
      I realize that it is a primate sanctuary, and I did comment on that fact on the main thread called "tour of Welsh zoos" in the new posts area of ZooChat. If the monkeys came from even worse environments then I shudder to imagine where they were rescued from.
    • James27
      Ah I see, I never saw that post ;)
      It seems to me that they should bulldoze these cages and build all the primates electric fenced enclosures like the Gibbon one. That would be dirt cheap to build and would be one hell of a lot bigger.
    • Clawedtoad
      Wales ape and monkey sanctuary

But that's no excuse for the animals to be kept in shabby conditions and small cages despite calling themselves a "sanctuary". Cefn yr erw should improve their enclosures before taking in any more animals. The photos of Cefn yr erw posted by Jacks Zoo are appalling. Looks like they don't know much about animal husbandry or welfare. :mad:
    • James27
      Just because the cages aren't great doesn't mean they're not looked after. I know it's no excuse and I don't know why they don't do a quick fix and construct some better cages. But apparently they're getting animals right left and centre, and like I said, there is loads of building work going on. It will be better in, what looks like, quite a short time.
    • Clawedtoad
      Let's hope they are building decent enclosures for all the poor animals they are rescuing. I'm amazed they have got away with such dismal enclosures for so long. Just because they take in animals that otherwise might not have anywhere to go, it doesn't mean they can cut corners with regards to housing these animals. Do they take advise from anyone?
    • James27
      I just got a volunteer job here, I'll see if the take advice ;)
    • Clawedtoad
      Hope you enjoy your volunteering experience at Cefn-yr-erw. Please help them improve the conditions of their animals. Keep us posted!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    jacks zoo
    Date:
    19 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    479.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix A350
    Date / Time:
    2008:01:04 05:08:47
    Exposure Time:
    10/1098 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    5.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).