Join our zoo community
LaughingDove

View in the Ethiopia Section

1/1/2017

View in the Ethiopia Section
LaughingDove, 20 Jan 2017
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • zooboy28
      What species are included in the Ethiopian section? I guess Gelada, and there looks to be some vultures here too? Is this area modelled on a hillside?
    • LaughingDove
      It is on a hillside sloping down from the Giraffe House and it's between the Giraffe House and the rest of the Africa section (most notably containing the elephants and lions).

In the Ethiopian section the largest enclosure is for the Geladas, however there are also enclosures for Spotted Hyaenas, Greater Kudu, the Senkele Aviary that you can see in this picture (which contains White-naped Raven, Ruppell's Griffon Vulture, White-headed Vulture, and Abyssinian Ground Hornbill), the Omo Aviary (a large walk-in aviary that I believe usually holds some large storks and waterbirds, empty in winter), some appropriate breeds of domestics, a small row of invertebrate enclosures, and meerkats of dubious appropriateness geographically.
      zooboy28 likes this.
    • zooboy28
      You would think they would include Nubian Ibex, and perhaps hyrax here too. But it still sounds like a great species line-up, and nice to include an African exhibit that is not "savannah" or "rainforest".
    • LaughingDove
      zooboy28 likes this.
    • HOMIN96
      @zooboy28 When the Etiopia section was new, hyraxes actually shared exhibit with Geladas (though I never saw them in it, they were always inside during my visit) but after a year or so, zoo stopped keeping them.
      zooboy28 likes this.
    • HOMIN96
      Species list for Omo aviary: Yellow-billed stork, hamerkop, African openbill, southern ground hornbill, marabou stork, those are the permanent species but during my visits I also saw there other hornbill species or grey-headed parrot
    • zooboy28
      Thanks @HOMIN96, it's a shame the zoo stopped keeping hyrax. Did they make a good display in that exhibit? Zurich has hyraxes with geladas in a fantastic exhibit (also with Nubian ibex and blue-winged goose)
    • HOMIN96
      @zooboy28 As I said I never saw them together in outter exhibit and they had separate inner exhibits, so I can´t really tell how they worked together.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zlín Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    20 Jan 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix HS25EXR
    Date / Time:
    2017:01:01 14:13:51
    Exposure Time:
    1/280 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).