Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Vinpearl Safari - bad Signage

Vinpearl Safari - bad Signage
FunkyGibbon, 12 Mar 2016
    • devilfish
      Thanks for sharing these photos!
      It's impressive that they went to the effort of including a false distribution map on this sign!
    • UngulateNerd92
      Oh my god, this signage is terrible! besides the false distribution map, I also notice an inappropriate vernacular name, that being African wild boar. If I had to take a guess regarding the particular Wild boar species (or subspecies depending on what taxonomy you prefer) here, I would say that we are looking at either Sus (scrofa) cristatus or Sus (scrofa) vittatus.
    • FunkyGibbon
      You can see a discussion of why this is so bad in my review. Basically the warthog were late and they improvised.
    • UngulateNerd92
      @FunkyGibbon Very interesting! Thank you. For some odd reason, I figured that this enclosure may have been intended for Common warthogs (Phacochoerus africanus), but even then African wild boar is not at all an appropriate vernacular name to use here. If you want to get technical, species in the genus Sus belong to the tribe Suini whereas species in the genus Phacochoerus belong to the tribe Phacochoerini, but both belong to the subfamily Suinae within the family Suidae.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Vinpearl Safari
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    12 Mar 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: