Join our zoo community
Mr Wrinkly

Von Der Doecken's Hornbill

The new female has been on the exhibit with Heinz for about three weeks. he has been taking her tidbits from the feeder and making some dramatic flights, showing off. Yesterday she was pulling pieces of leaves from trees in the exhibit so maybe there will be chicks soon. She looks the same as him except no red. Too bad I have not yet got a good pic of him passing bits of food to her.

Von Der Doecken's Hornbill
Mr Wrinkly, 11 Aug 2016
    • Mr Wrinkly
      The new female has been on the exhibit with Heinz for about three weeks. He has been taking her tidbits from the feeder and making some dramatic flights, showing off. Yesterday she was pulling pieces of leaves from trees in the exhibit so maybe there will be chicks soon.
      She looks the same as him except no red. Too bad I have not yet got a good pic of him passing bits of food to her.
    • TZFan
      Nice photo of Heinz. I can never get a photo of them no matter where I stand. The light in the background always washes them out completely. Although I could try at another time of day.
    • Sealife357
      What part of the pavilion are these guys in? I can never find them.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      I don't know why. They are in the only walk-thru aviary and have been very active since she came out of quarantine mid-July. Usually they use the two feeders opposite the otters, or the one immediately to the right as you enter from the gorilla side of the pavilion. Both frequently fly back and forth from one end to the other of the area. Today he was sitting on the shelf outside their nesting box several times while she was in the branches above. The box is above the door into the area.

This is a pic of her:
      http://www.zoochat.com/532/von-der-doeckens-hornbill-457890/
    • TZFan
      Perhaps you missed them because you were looking in the wrong place for them. The first time I saw Heinz it was by accident. I was looking for hamerkop, Homer, and just happened to notice Heinz. As Mr Wrinkly said they are easy to spot and fairly active. At least you now have a goal for your next visit.
    • Sealife357
      Interesting, thanks for the tips. I was looking for Homer when I was there last week, but couldn't find him, granted it was hot and muggy and I just wanted out of that pavilion. I'll keep an eye out for them on my next visit.
    • cypher
      Mr. Wrinkly is spot on in their movement. That's where I saw them yesterday.

On a side note, Hamerkop, Homer has a couple spots he like to hang out around. One is when entering the area from the main Gorilla viewing, turn around and he may be sitting above the doorway to the little closet there. Another spot is right above his feeding area, across from the frogs.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Mr Wrinkly
    Date:
    11 Aug 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: