Join our zoo community
Simon Hampel

Waiting for elephants - Feb 2006

Waiting for elephants - Feb 2006
Simon Hampel, 24 Jul 2008
    • mstickmanp
      How big is the exhibit?
    • James27
      I think about half an acre... From what I remember from the threads at the time it's stupidly small.
    • mstickmanp
      I doubt is half an acre, as Los Angeles Zoo's current elephat exhibit is half an acre.
    • James27
      I'm pretty sure it is 2000 sqm, that's half an acre. Look on the google map and you can see the elephants in this enclosure. It really is tiny, especially for a new, state of the art enclosure.
    • snowleopard
      Yeah, I think that Ashley is right. Half an acre for 5 elephants! The exhibit is definitely gorgeous, full of sand, space, sun and water...but it's still too bloody small. Also, all of the grass in the photo has obviously disappeared by now.
    • James27
      I just read up on an old thread:
      "Yes unfortunately I am absolutely sure. I got that number from documents which were published in the internet around the time when the import of the Thai elephants was prepared. The outdoor enclosure is very little over 2.000 m² without the pools/ water moats. I don`t have the exact total of enclosure + water moats but it is definately not more then 2.500 m² in total. That is a little more then 1/2 acre."
      Hmmm...
    • Coquinguy
      on the plus-side sydney's climate means thats 2500 square metres of space that can be utilised by the elephants year round. an exhibit of this size in the Europe or North America could be argued to be too small owing to the climate which obviously creates the need for more indoor space.
      also, id rather see 5 elephants in 2500 square metres than just two or three...as the greatest enrichment for elephants is other elephants.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Taronga Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Simon Hampel
    Date:
    24 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    671.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot S50
    Date / Time:
    2006:02:25 14:05:21
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    Focal Length:
    7.09375 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).