Join our zoo community
devilfish

Walking catfish, 10th April 2012

In the rio del mundo exhibit, a massive tank housing large freshwater fish from around the world. This tank is relatively narrow but stretches across the width of the entire aquarium. As a result, there are at least four separate main viewing areas for this single tank. The aquarium map shows it a bit better: http://www.acuariodezaragoza.com/ima...no_acuario.jpg Photo taken on the 10th April 2012.

Walking catfish, 10th April 2012
devilfish, 8 May 2012
    • devilfish
      In the rio del mundo exhibit, a massive tank housing large freshwater fish from around the world. This tank is relatively narrow but stretches across the width of the entire aquarium. As a result, there are at least four separate main viewing areas for this single tank. The aquarium map shows it a bit better:
      Map

Photo taken on the 10th April 2012.
    • Arizona Docent
      Sounds cool, but that link does not work for me.
    • DavidBrown
      Has anybody here ever seen one of these in the wild? Supposedly there is an established population of them in Florida. I think that it would be quite freaky to have a catfish wandering by you on land.

I found this video of a walking catfish "invasion" in Florida on Youtube:
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIU96TgMGsY"]Walking "across the road" Catfish - YouTube[/ame]
    • devilfish
      I've now changed it - should be working.
    • PAT
      I have a question about the map that you posted. Are there otters or nutrias in the top left corner? The picture shows what look like otters but the label says nutria. I understand that nutria might just be Spanish for otter but I thought I should check.
    • Maguari
      'Nutria' is, as you suspect, Spanish for 'otter'. :)
    • PAT
      Muchas Gracias ;)
    • Maguari
      De nada. :)
    • KEEPER
      'Nutria' it's the word for refer to otter in Spanish,
      but 'nutria' it's the word for coipus (Myocastor coypus) in many South American countries too.
      Thanks for the map indeed!;)
    • devilfish
      My pleasure. :)

To add further detail, the aquarium houses a pair of European otters - photos coming soon.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Acuario de Zaragoza
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    8 May 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    154.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ6
    Date / Time:
    2012:04:10 11:52:54
    Exposure Time:
    10/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).